Restrooms and bathrooms are required to have a functional toilet. To determine if the toilet is operating as intended, test the toilet by following these steps:
- Open the toilet seat and lid.
- Lightly apply pressure to the side of the toilet and ensure that it does not move on the floor. This can be done by pushing softly with a knee, straddling the toilet, and attempting to move the basin.
- Flush the toilet and ensure that the toilet properly drains and refills and stops running after refilling the tank.
Inspect the toilet for any damaged or missing components, such as a damaged seat, flush handles, lids, or other components.
Explanation of terms in deficiency table:
- Missing: Bathrooms and Restrooms must have a toilet. The deficiencies below for a “missing” toilet refer to evidence that a toilet was previously installed and has been removed or that a bathroom exists where no toilet is in the room or immediate vicinity.
- “Only Toilet in Unit” – this terminology is used to determine the rating and repair timeframe. A lesser rating is applied to missing or damaged toilets if another functioning toilet is present in the unit.
- Toilet Components: Toilet components include flush handles, lids, seats, covers, and any other component that is used in the function of a toilet. It does not apply to caulking that may be applied at the base. Caulking at the base of the toilet is not an inspectable item.
- For a life-threatening deficiency to be cited, the toilet must be damaged to the degree that it no longer functions as intended, and there are no other functioning toilets in the unit.
|Def#||Deficiency||Severity||Repair Due||HCV Rating|
|1||Toilet is missing (only toilet in unit)||Life Threatening||24 Hours||Fail|
|1||Toilet is missing (only toilet in Common Area)||Moderate||30 Days||Fail|
|2||Toilet is missing (not only toilet in unit)||Moderate||30 Days||Fail|
|2||Toilet is missing (not only toilet in Common Area)||Moderate||30 Days||Fail|
|3||Toilet is damaged or inoperable (only toilet in unit)||Severe||24 Hours||Fail|
|3||Toilet is damaged or inoperable (common area)||Moderate||30 Days||Fail|
|4||Toilet is damaged or inoperable (not only toilet)||Moderate||30 Days||Fail|
|5||Toilet components are damaged and inoperable||Moderate||30 Days||Fail|
|6||Toilet is not secured at base/loose||Moderate||30 Days||Fail|
|7||Toilet components are damaged but overall functional||Low||60 Days||Pass|
|8||Toilet cannot be used in private||Moderate||30 Days||Fail|
Last modified: 15 August 2023
Thanks for your feedback.