- Do all the heating elements on the stove or range produce heat and properly regulate the heat?
- This includes all range burners, broilers, and bake elements on a range/stove.
- To determine if range elements are properly regulating heat, look for conditions such as whether or not the burners are fully lit around the entire ring of the burner and if the entire oven element is lit.
- For gas ranges, ensure that flames are equally aligned around the burner.
- To completely test heat regulation, the oven should be thoroughly heated to 350 degrees and determine if the heat is maintained after several minutes with a temperature testing device.
- Are all components of the range or stove in place and working condition?
- This includes baking or burner elements, grates, racks, knobs, the ignition system, a convection fan, door hinges, door seals, handles, lights, the light fixture(s) in the oven, the drip pan, and glass surfaces.
- Is the primary cooking device missing?
- Dwelling units must have a primary cooking device unless the unit is an SRO (single residential unit) with a shared kitchen. The primary cooking device can be considered a microwave if it is the only device in the kitchen.
- Look for evidence of the prior installation of an appliance, such as a vacant 220-volt outlet, gas line, or open section between base cabinets.
|Def#||Deficiency||Severity||Repair Due||HCV Rating|
|1||The oven is not producing heat||Severe||24 Hours**||Fail|
|1||No burner on the cooking range or cooktop produces heat.||Severe||24 Hours**||Fail|
|1||A Common Area Oven/Range/Burner is Inoperable||Low||60 Days||Pass|
|2||Cooking range, cooktop, or oven component missing (Unsafe for use)||Moderate||30 Days||Fail|
|3||Primary cooking appliance is missing||Moderate||30 Days||Fail|
|4||A Microwave is damaged or Inoperable (Primary Cooking Device Only)||Severe||24 Hours**||Fail|
|5||A Stove Burner is Inoperable (one operable burner exists)||Moderate||30 Days||Fail|
**HCV/PBV Correction Timeframe for this standard is 30 Days
Last modified: 15 August 2023
Thanks for your feedback.